When this theatre opened in 1925, it brought in top Hollywood talents in the worlds of silent films and vaudeville. The biggest star of that era, Mary Pickford, dedicated the theatre on opening night, May 28, 1925. It was the second of the three classics designed by the Los Angeles architecture firm Meyer & Holler, along with Grauman’s Egyptian Theatre (1923) and Chinese Theatre (1927) in Hollywood.
In the years that followed, many big names performed on the Fox Fullerton stage, or hosted screenings of their films.
In 1955, the theatre underwent a massive remodeling which installed a very large Cinemascope screen, blocking out the stage from being used. It stayed this way until it closed in 1987.
In the late 1990s, grassroots efforts were made to save the theatre from demolition. That goal was achieved in 2004 when the funds were raised to purchase the building. Ever since that date, the care of the facility has been provided by the Fullerton Historic Theatre Foundation.
On May 28, 2025, a large public celebration of the 100th anniversary was held, allowing guests to tour the partially refurbished lobby and auditorium.
Restoration work continues.